Sunday, October 17, 2010

Winking Lizard 4M - July 10, 2010

Winking Lizard July 10, 2010

This is a new race for me.  We decided to run it the last minute because it is part of the Hermes Road Racing series.

The official name is Winking Lizard "A Shot in the Dark". The 4 mile race is downtown and starts at 5pm so it is not exactly dark. As a matter of fact the day was sunny, very bright and very hot.

The atmosphere is a bit of a party. Here is a picture before the start.  Some people were drinking even before the race started.


And a picture after the race. Both Liz and I liked the retro outfit of this guy:




In addition to the 4 mile race, there is a 2 mile Family Fun Run & Walk that starts first. Here is a picture of the start of this race:



All I remember now about the race is that it was hot and was very happy to see the first water stop around mile 2. I thought I ran very well. My time was 26:23, which is a 6:41 pace. This was good for 51/1280 overall but only 7th/51 in my age group. I secretly hoped for an award but I was not even close. A new guy in the Hermes series finished ahead of me.

Liz finished at 36:19 (9:05 pace), 5/25 in her age group.

After the race we went to the car to change, and then back for the party! It was actually very nice with the sun setting, everyone enjoyed a cold drink, while waiting for the awards. Here is Liz waiting on line to get me a beer:


At some point they were throwing gifts (like T-shirts) from the roof of a building, just like they do in basketball games:


Overall, we had a good time, and will definitely do this again next year!

No comments: