Friday, June 6, 2008

Recovery


It’s been almost 3 weeks since the Cleveland Marathon. Recovery from this marathon went extremely well. Much better than in previous years.

In previous marathons I followed this pattern: For the first two days after the marathon I am unable to run, I am walking with difficulty, and I have a lot of pain going down stairs. The first attempt to run is usually the 3rd day after the marathon but only for a mile or so. By the end of the week I was able to run maybe 6 miles.

This year I clearly had less pain. Two days after the marathon I went running 2 miles at noon at 3 1/2 miles in the afternoon. I had very little pain. On Saturday, just 6 days after the marathon, I ran 15 miles, 5 on trails and 10 in the towpath.

Does that mean that I did not try my hardest at the marathon? Nahhh… It just means that I was better trained for this marathon than previous ones. But I am wondering about my wife. She does not have any leg pain/discomfort after her 5Ks and the recent 10K. I am telling her that if her legs/muscles do not hurt the day after the race, then she did not run hard enough. Am I right in saying this?

No comments: