Saturday, March 27, 2010

Shamrock 15K

Good race in good weather

I have been running the Shamrock 15K race continuously since 2004, 7 years in a row. It used to be that this race was the first race of the year, but this year it was the 4th race for me. One thing different about Shamrock is that it starts at 12 noon, instead of the morning.

Two years ago we had emerged from a snowstorm, and last year it was raining hard during the entire race. But there was nothing to complain about (weather-wise) this year. It was sunny and the temperature 40F. I put on shorts and a long sleeve shirt and felt fine (not too warm or too cold).  But still, there was a lot of snow on the ground, as you can see from this picture of Lea & Liz before the race:

So, I carried my 171.5 pounds (new record, up from 160 in November) to the start line, knowing very well that I would not be able to match last year's time of 1:06:35. This is a *very* hard course with few flat parts. My wife (Liz) and daughter (Lea) were running the 5K, also a hard course.

I started fast. I have the theory that in this race it does not matter how fast your start. You will slow down in the hills starting at mile 5. Might as well bank time early on while you can. And so I did.

At mile 5 I got passed by two friends, Michele and Matt, but other than that very little happened in terms of passing and getting passed.

I kept a good pace and I am happy with my performance. The time flew quickly. I do not recall any bad moments. Looking at my pace (from the Garmin), I am pleased that the last miles were strong, around 7:10 min/mile at a slight uphill.

The pictures below were taken by others during the race. I am on the left, in front of Sean, who was struggling with an injury. Liz is with the pink on the right.


Rose was coming from behind, closing up in the last mile. I could hear the spectators yell "Go Rose!". Hey, I am not letting Rose pass me! :) So I pushed on, and finished, not too tired, about a minute slower from last year, at 1:07:36 (7:13 pace).


I fully expected to get an award. I was second last year in the 45-49 age group. But this year in the 50-54 age group, I got NOTHING! What a shock! :) Oh well, at least Liz got first place in her age group in the 5K so we got the little flashing red light that they gave for awards. Daughter Lea finished good at 30+ minutes.  I love this picture.  Liz is proudly showing her award and Lea is making a face, like "Stop bragging Mom!"


Thus finishes another Shamrock 15K family race. We’ll do it again next year.

No comments: