Sunday, April 25, 2010

Old Oak Run 5K - 2010

Old Oak Run 5K – April 17, 2010

This is a small race (435 runners) in Middleburg Heights. The only reason we signed up for this is that it is part of the Hermes Road Racing series.

After a week of warm weather, it turned cold (30s) and windy for the race. The race was nicely organized, but I did not feel I was at my best. My mile splits were about 6:30 per mile (I was wearing a new Garmin watch, my previous one broke, so I don’t know my mile splits.) Interestingly, the finish line was past the start, so when you thought you were done, you still had a while to go.

My time was 20:42. I had no expectation for an award, especially since my age group for this race was 46-50, so I was the oldest in the group. Surprisingly, I got a 2nd place award. On the other hand, Liz was in the 51-55 group but finished 4th (her time was 26:32). What was more heartbreaking, she lost to her competitor in the Hermes Road Racing series by ONLY ONE second!

Here is a picture of both of us after the Awards Ceremony. The picture was taken by Lloyd Thomas (director of the Fools 50K and fellow Brecksville resident). Both Lloyd and his wife Andrea won first places. Lloyd’s time was 17:39 (7th overall).

No comments: