Monday, September 22, 2008

1 Week to Akron

<- From the Buckeye Half, two weeks ago... Running with brand new shoes, the same pair I will use for Akron.

Fast group run on Saturday. I joined the CV-Running group at 7:00 am at Peninsula and we ran south on the Towpath for 6.6 miles and then back for a total of 13.2 miles at 1:45. The average pace was 8 min/mile and my mile splits were: 8:43 8:11 8:13 8:03 8:07 7:57 8:03 7:33 7:41 8:11 7:41 7:50 7:54 7:35.

Isn’t that a bit too fast, considering that this is my target pace for Akron? I think so, but the rest of the group was going even faster and I was trying to keep up with them.

For the rest of the week, I plan to take it easy, with easy runs on Sunday-Wednesday and then take 2 days off (Thursday and Friday). I should then be ready for Akron.

I am a firm believer in running a marathon with fresh (new) shoes. I bought a pair of my favorite shoes (Mizuno Wave Creation) and tried them/broke them in the Buckeye Half Marathon. I have not put any more miles in them. I do not believe in prolonged “breaking in”. The shoes start wearing out the minute you put them on. Anyway, I plan to wear these shoes for the Akron Marathon.

Total for the week: 44 miles, 165 lbs

1 comment:

Soapin' Cindy said...

I'm a firm believer in running in fresh shoes too, so you'll be horrified that I'm going to run in a pair of Nike Pegasus with 380 miles on them. Let's see how they hold out!! Cute picture!! Your wife is so pretty.